Cambridge Jockey Club Timeline

Cambridge JC History
Notable dates
20 July, 1944 Formation of the Cambridge Picnic Racing Club.
October 7, 1944 First race meeting held at Pukekura.
October 27, 1945 Second race meeting held on Cambridge Trotting Club course.
January 17, 1951 Granting of Totalisator Permit from NZRC.
January 31, 1951 Change of name to Cambridge Jockey Club.
May 5, 1951 First totalisator meeting.
November 12, 1960 Race meeting held at Te Rapa racecourse.
November 23,1960 Purchase of 50-acre property in Hannon Road for training purposes (cost 12,500 pound).
May 18, 1962 Official opening of training tracks.
April 2, 1968 Additional race date allocated (meeting held on July 17, 1968).
February 13, 1973 Additional race date allocated (meeting held on August 25, 1974).
April 14, 1976 Purchase of 100 acres off the Beere Estate adjacent to the existing training track for $225,000 was successfully negotiated.
July 27, 1976 Took possession of 100 acres. A loan of $165,000 for the development of the training complex was granted by the NZ Racing Authority.
November 11, 1976 Additional race date allocated (meeting held on November 25, 1977).
February 2, 1977 Buildings commenced.
May 8, 1977 Earthworks completed.
May 20, 1977 Horses commenced working on sand track.
May 16, 1978 Horses commenced working on grass track.
September 15, 1978 Official opening of the Cambridge Jockey Club Training Complex