Bell’s stars on way back

Storming The Tower, one of John Bell’s talented gallopers will be in action at Te Rapa on Saturday, while the stable star Mosse is still recuperating after a knee operation.

Bell will saddle up his promising stayer Storming The Tower as topweight in the Taumarunui Cosmopolitan Club& TAB Premier 1400, a restricted 85 event, in which he will be ridden by Leith Innes.

Storming The Tower has been off the scene since finishing unplaced in the Gr.2 City Of Auckland Cup at Ellerslie on New Year’s Day. He had won his previous start on the track, in the Dunstan Feeds Championship Qualifier and went to the spelling paddock with a record of four wins from 11 starts.

Bell says Storming The Tower did well during a break and is being set for the Gr.2 Christchurch Casino NZ Cup (3200m) at Riccarton in November.

“It’ll be far too short for him on Saturday, but he’s got to start somewhere,” said Bell. “I’d like to have a go at the New Zealand Cup with him and there are other staying races he could run in.

“He’s only a young stayer and if he does well this campaign we could look at some of the good staying races in Australia next year.”

Bell is also pleased with the progress being made by Senna towards a return to racing, possibly at Rotorua next Wednesday. Senna emerged as a promising stayer when winning over 2400 metres at Ellerslie last November.

“He’ll go for some of the good staying races,” said Bell. “He had a bit of bad luck last campaign, but he should be better this time. Carl Gately has done a fantastic job settling him in his work.”

Wolf Run, another promising member of the Bell stable, has been flown to Hong Kong to join the stable of Paul O’Sullivan. Wolf Run had three starts for Bell for a win at Te Aroha and a third.

Meanwhile, Mosse, one of the most talked-about horses in the country, is getting through some light exercise at Cambridge’s Maara Grange after undergoing an operation for the removal of an “obscure” cyst.

Mosse had returned from a spell and was in work when his trainer, John Bell, decided to back off him.

“He wasn’t far off being sped up in his work, but I wasn’t happy,” said Bell. “He’d work magnificently then sometimes falter a little afterwards. It was only now and again, but there was something there hurting him.”

Mosse underwent x-rays and a complete body scan after which the problem was discovered.

“He had a full going over and the extensive scan showed up some hot spots, but even then it wasn’t clear exactly where the problem was,” said Bell. “It wasn’t until bringing up the x-rays on the big screen that the vets discovered a cyst on his knee joint.

“It was in a very obscure place and hard to find. It was only through concentrating on the specific area that it was discovered.”

The Cambridge veterinary surgeons then looked back over Mosse’s past x-rays and, being able to pinpoint the area, it was revealed the cyst had existed in each print.

“That explains a lot,” said Bell. “He’s probably had it all his life, but it was so obscure it wasn’t found. He was operated on about six to eight weeks ago and the cyst was removed. It all went well and he’s perfectly sound.”

Bell is thrilled with the care being given to Mosse at Maara Grange.

“Alison (Henry) has done a fantastic job with him,” said Bell. “He’s had to be in a restricted area. You can’t let him go out in a big paddock at this stage.

“He started off in a very big box, then was put into a half-covered yard and will progress to a small paddock then a bigger one. Alison is hand-walking him twice a day and he’s coming along really well.”

Mosse will be given another six weeks at Maara Grange then he will undergo further x-rays and his condition will be reassessed. “He’s only a four-year-old so we’ve got time on our side,” said Bell. “It’s no use rushing him. To think he won five races in a row when he was possibly in pain,” said Bell. “Look out what he could do now.”

Mosse created a huge impression last year when going through undefeated in his first five starts, culminating with an amazing win in the Gr.3 Aussie Butcher Concorde Handicap (1200m) at Ellerslie last December.

He suffered his first defeat at Tauranga the following month when failing to catch the pacemaker Rough Odds, whose rider, Leith Innes, was allowed to dictate terms in front. Nevertheless, Mosse lost no creditably with his second. “He ran his last 600 metres faster than anything at Tauranga,” said Bell. “And looking back he did it with his knee problem.”