Change of rider again for News

Trent Busuttin’s hopes of having his friend Jason Taylor riding for him in the $200,000 Pacific Jewellers Wellington Cup at Trentham on Saturday have been upset.

Busuttin and his fiancée, Natalie Young, have Six O’Clock News in the Group II 2400-metre feature and had called on Taylor to take the mount after another Australian rider, Nash Rawiller, was successful on him last weekend in the Trentham Stakes (Rawiller is unavailable for the ride as he is currently under suspension).

“Unfortunately Jason can’t get a suitable flight so he won’t be coming,” said Busuttin. “He was looking forward to it and so was I.”

Six O’Clock News will now be ridden by Leith Innes, who was aboard when the Zabeel gelding finished second to Spiro in last year’s Wellington Cup.

Meanwhile the star performer from the Busuttin — Young stable,  Sangster, trialled at Paeroa today and pleased his connections with a third behind She’s Invicible and Fleur de Lune. Ridden by Michael McNab (son of local trainer Chris McNab), Sangster was making his first public appearance since winning the Group I Victoria Derby (2500m) ast Flemington on October 25.

Sangster is likely to resume in the Group I Waikato Draught Sprint (wfa 1400m) at Te Rapa. “He’ll then either go straight to Melbourne and run in the Australian Guineas or go down to Otaki for the weight-for-age,” said Busuttin. “The AJC Derby is the main goal. He’s also nominated for the BMW just
in case it became a wet track.”